Category : Vegan, low fat
Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time: 15-20 min
Skill level : Intermediate
2 ts peppercorns, crushed, medium
1 ts Carom seeds, crushed, medium
1 ts turmeric powder
1/2 ts strong asafoetida
1 ts roasted cumin powder
salt as needed
1/3 c gram flour
1 c whole wheat flour
Dry whole wheat flour for rolling
Oil for spreading
1. Make semi soft dough with flour, spices and water.
2. Make walnut size balls of dough.
3. Flatten the balls into disks.
4. Roll the balls into 6" diameter circles.
5. Heat griddle on medium heat and when hot enough (to check put a pinch of flour on the griddle and check if it turns golden-brown) carefully place the thepala on the griddle .
6. After 10 seconds, flip it over, apply oil 1/2+to taste ts each thepala(I use 4-5 drops, but we got used to low oil food and I can make softer ones after years of practice).
7. When it has brownish spots flip over again.
8. When it has brownish spots both sides its done.
9. Serve. Repeat.
*Flipping thepala too many times makes it hard and chewy. (With practice you will know right timings and right temperatures.
*To make soft thepalas adjust your heat just right. If its too much you will get burns and spots will quickly turn black and if it's too low it will take longer and will be chewy not soft.
* If you think your rolling speed is not fast you can turn heat on only after rolling 2-3 thepalas.