Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time: 15-20 min
Skill level : Intermediate
1 ts ghee or butter
1 ts Cardamom
1/2 ts Nutmeg
a few strands of saffron
1/3 c milk
1 c whole wheat flour
Dry whole wheat flour for rolling
Oil for spreading
1. Mix first 5 ingredients and boil.
2. When its cool enough to handle, make semi stiff dough with it.
3. Make walnut size balls of dough.
4. Flatten the balls into disks.
5. Roll the balls into 6" diameter circles.
6. Heat griddle on medium heat and when hot enough (to check put a pinch of flour on the griddle and check if it turns golden-brown) carefully place the roti on the griddle .
7. After 10 seconds, flip it over.
8. When it has brownish spots flip over again.
9. When it has brownish spots both sides its done.
10. Apply little ghee on top(2-3 drops). Serve. Repeat.
*Instead of ghee you can use butter or vegan butter but ghee smells good.
*Flipping roti too many times makes it hard and chewy. (With practice you will know right timings and right temperatures.*To make soft roties adjust your heat just right. If its too much you will get burns and spots will quickly turn black and if it's too low it will take longer and will be chewy not soft.
* If you think your rolling speed is not fast you can turn heat on only after rolling 2-3 roties.