Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time: 15-20 min
Skill level : Intermediate
1/2 c fresh bottle gourd, grated
1/4 c Cilantro, finely chopped
1 ts turmeric
1 ts red chili powder
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs lemon juice
1 ts green chili paste
1/2 ts asafoetida
1 ts salt or as needed
water only if you need
1 tbs chana flour
1 tbs rice flour
1 c whole wheat flour
oil as needed
1. Mix everything but the flour and oil.
2. Add flour and make semi stiff dough (if needed add more flour or water for right consistency)
3. Make walnut-sized spheres of dough.
4. Flatten the sphere and roll it into thin 6-7" circle (use dry flour for dusting or it will stick).
5. Heat griddle on medium heat and when hot enough (to check put a pinch of flour on the griddle and check if it turns golden-brown) carefully place the thepala on the griddle .
6. After 10 seconds, flip it over.
7. After 10 seconds, dip spoon in the oil and spread over the thepala(2-3 drops oil)
8. Flip again and after until it has golden brown spots on both sides.
9. Repeat till done
*To make soft thepalas adjust your heat just right. If its too much you will get burns and spots will quickly turn black and if it's too low it will take longer and will be chewy not soft.
* If you think your rolling speed is not fast(For thepala you need more speed than roti or paratha) you can turn heat on only after rolling 2-3.
*If you let the dough rest, it might turn softer, add some flour and need it again.