Category : Vegan, healthy fat
Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time: 15-20 min
Skill level : Intermediate
1/2 c fresh Fenugreek, finely chopped
1 ts Carom seeds
1 ts turmeric
1 ts red chili powder
1/2 ts asafoetida
3 garlic paste(optional)
1 ts salt or as needed
1 c millet flour
1 tbs whole wheat flour
water as needed to make semi stiff or pliable dough
oil as needed
1. Mix everything but the flour and oil.
2. Add flours and make semi stiff dough (if needed add more flour or yogurt for right consistency)
3. Make big lemon-sized spheres of dough.
4. Flatten the sphere and roll it into circle (use dry flour for dusting or it will stick).
5. Heat griddle on medium heat and when hot enough (to check put a pinch of flour on the griddle and check if it turns golden-brown) carefully place the thepala on the griddle .
6. After 10 seconds, flip it over.
7. After 10 seconds, dip spoon in the ghee and spread over the thepala(2-3 drops ghee)
8. Flip again and after until it has golden brown spots on both sides.
9. Repeat till done
*Unlike other thepalas, these thepalas are thick.*To make soft thepalas adjust your heat just right. If its too much you will get burns and spots will quickly turn black and if it's too low it will take longer and will be chewy not soft.
* If you think your rolling speed is not fast(For thepala you need more speed than roti or paratha) you can turn heat on only after rolling 2-3.
*If you let the dough rest, it might turn softer, add some flour and need it again.