Category : Vegan, low fat Nut free
Preparation Time : 5 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min
Skill level : Easy
1/2 recipe Fat-free Sweet and sour Chinese dressing
1 tbs thickener
1 c water
1 ts sesame oil
1 ts ginger paste
1 tbs garlic paste,
1 ts chili powder
2 tbs finely chopped yellow onion
3 Chinese eggplants
1 ts dry basil
Salt and pepper as needed
1/4 c chopped basil
2 tbs chopped green onion
1 ts chili flakes
1. Wash and cut eggplants in to 1" rounds slanted. Sprinkle salt, pepper and dry basil on it.
2. Steam eggplant until they are cooked (it should take 7-10 min.)
3. Keep it aside, covered.
4. Mix the sauce ingredients and keep aside.
5. Heat oil at low heat.
6. Saute ginger and garlic
7. After 15 seconds add onion.
8. After the onion turns translucent, add the eggplants and cook for 2-3 min. Move the contents around very gently, while taking care not to let them stick.
9. Pour sauce mix.
10. Cook for another 5 min.
11. Turn the heat off.
12. Add toppings, mix.
13. Serve on the side with one of these (cooked)-barley/farro/oats/brown rice.
*I make this recipe sweet sour and mildly hot but according to taste you can adjust salt, sugar, chili and vinegar.
*For thickening, you can choose a thickener like, tapioca starch, arrowroot, potato starch, corn flour, rice flour etc.
*Traditionally, eggplants are fried but since my family loves this preparation, I began steaming them.
*Traditionally this recipe is cooked on high flame but since we use very less oil, it will start burning, so for this recipe, you will have to cook at low flame.